Ahhh…It’s that time of year again and we’ve got a bad case of the runs.
Get it? Race pun.
The Boilermaker is the best race in America. Nothing, and we mean nothing, screams of “This is America” like the second Sunday of July in Utica, New York.
Boilermaker 40 is kind of a big deal.
Obviously the race is huge for us here locally. The entire weekend is consumed by events leading up to the Sunday morning start. People line the streets, and we mean EVERY STREET, cheering on the runners. Coverage is shown on local television, a good portion on the runners are local, your name and time makes the paper.
I have a good story for every race I’ve attended, I once even watched a man propose at the post race party. Anyway…
Boilermaker 40 is a big deal, especially this year. There are a few things to look for and some cool new stuff to check out. Here is a guide for you via Jordan Peters at The Boilermaker, a true sponsorship and marketing specialist!
1. First, download the new (free) Boilermaker mobile app ASAP to stay updated on all Boilermaker events.
It also has other great features like Boilermaker selfies, merchandise discounts and much more. This is your handheld guide through Boilermaker week.
Big thanks to our app sponsor, Covey Computer Software for this one.
2. Look out for the Chobani Homestretch on Court Street.
Giving you that extra push over the finish line.
3. Boilermaker Expo Surprises
This will be our biggest and best Planet Fitness Health and Wellness Expo to date.
Be sure to check out:
- Drone demonstrations by AX Enterprizes
- Rockin Jump Fun Zone out on the quad
- More food trucks, more vendors, more FREE samples!
- Runner’s Forum including Olympic hero, Erin Hamlin (1:00pm, Saturday)
- Carmella’s Café Pasta Challenge featuring local celebrities competing over the Colander Cup (12pm, Saturday)
4. The Unity Mile along mile 2 of the 15k course.
This stretch of the race will be packed with individuals and organizations that represent all the reasons why Utica is such a great place including organizations like the Ride for Missing Children and Upstate Cerebral Palsy to name just a few.
5. More wheelchairs athletes than ever before.
We’ll have over 40 wheelchair athletes this year and the prize money for the division has doubled so you can expect a more intense wheelchair race than ever before.
6. American prize money has been doubled!
So you can expect to see some of the best American distance runners in the country competing for the top spot. The race hasn’t had an American winner since Ed Eyestone in 1991.
7. Post-race entertainment is being turned up to 11 with a Showtime/Gridley Paige/Classified “supergroup” sharing the stage with disco diva Maxine Nightingale.
You might know Maxine from her hit song, “Right Back Where We Started From” featured prominently in the movie Slapshot.
8. Beer and sweaty bodies not your thing but still want to enjoy the post-race party?
Check out the Cliff’s Local Market Family Zone on the corner of Edward and Wasmer. No beer allowed here and there will be snacks, refreshments and family-friendly activities.
9. Free Tickets? Baseball?
Visit the Utica Blue Sox booth at the expo and get a FREE ticket to Friday night’s game against the Oneonta Outlaws.
Editor Note: Sorry, Hambone will not be making appearances at either event.
10. Have you heard about the Boilermaker Urban Initiative? If not, you will!
The Boilermaker is reaching out into the community in a way it never has before in order to be a year-round change agent for health and wellness. Our website has more information on the initiative and its programs.